Sunday, December 1, 2013

Kia Ora Whanau!

P day whoooohooo!  It's been so good to hear from all of you!  I'm glad you all had a good Thanksgiving.  I certainly didn't, ha ha ha, I think I had fish n chips to celebrate.  Ah well, I'm glad you guys all had fun and were able to spend good time together.  I had a pretty good week.  A pretty eventful one as well, ha ha, some experiences I definitely won't forget.

So, we worked really hard this week in finding new investigators.  We talked with 150 people and I think we got 3 new investigators, but the people we do have, I have a real good feeling about and I think that we can get 'em!!!  We have so much study time during the day, man I almost go crazy some days cause we're just stuck at the flat all day!!  Every morning we have personal study from 8-9 am, then comp study from 9-10 am and when a missionary is brand new they do this program called the 12 week program which are just study exercises, role plays, District episodes and PMG readings that you do for the first 12 weeks.  Ha, I've now had to do that for 21 weeks!  Anyways, that's from 11-12, then the language study from 12-1....holy cats I'm learning heaps! ha ha I'm working as hard as I can with Elder Benetito.  I want him to feel as comfortable as he can.  I'm trying to get him confident but that's a struggle aye, he is so shy! When he and I talk at the flat and stuff, he's all good, but the second he gets around people--deer in the headlights man, just like forgets everything.  So I have had my patience tested because I'm doing all the work, ha.  I'm talking with all the people and teaching all the lessons!  It's hard cause you're supposed to have that extra person to help contribute and testify.  But, I'm patient, I just got too used to being with Elder McKeown and Elder Viliamu and teaching like it's our job :-)  So, it's just kinda slow at the moment but that's ok.  I don't mind helping him.  But this week---he's gonna be speaking :-) ha ha.

So, we had an eventful week tracting, just knocking on every door that we walked by.  I knocked on this guy's door (about my age) and we were just casually talking and he asked, "so what are you guys doing here?"  I said we're sharing the good word, my brotha (ha) and he just went off about how wrong we were and that the Book of Mormon was written by a man and it wasn't of God--the best was when he said we weren't Christians.  I grabbed my badge and said hmmmmmmm if we're not Christians, could you tell me whose name is on my badge?  and what a Christian is, if it's not someone who doesn't follow Jesus Christ?  aaaannnnndddd he went frozen, started throwing out all these scriptures.  I respectfully read him some as well :-)  I was always hoping I would never get into a situation with someone who wanted to bash because I'm not so familiar with the Bible.  I always let Elder Viliamu do his thing haha but yesterday, it was just me!  I knew where every scripture was and what they said by memory.  I didn't even have a Bible with me!  I shared with him the scripture that says, "unless a man be born of water, and of the flesh, then he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" and he said that that meant the water in the mother's womb--ha, I said, yep, I'm wasting my time, have a nice day bro!  I was surprised though, cause I wasn't raising my voice or anything, I just shared scriptures with him, aaaaannnnd laughed outloud to some of the things he believed but the Spirit must have wanted me to share those scriptures with him, cause they came to my mind! ha

Good times!!  Elder Benetito was laughing so hard, he was like "you kill him with da scriptures" ha ha ha and I was like ya feel free to help a brother out next time :-)

Last night we were contacting people who were just walking around town, we don't have  a lot of success in town because that's where people shop and eat, stuff like that so they don't really want to talk to us, but as we were walking there was this crowd of girls in their 20's I'm guessing--but it was one of their "Hen Night" ha ha I didn't know what that was???  I guess it's the bachelorette party and the bride to be came up and grabbed me!  She was demanding that I take a picture with her and go have drinks with her friends......uhhhhh how 'bout no?? ha ha ha I just ran down the road and yelled "ELDER BENETITO, RUNNNNNNN!!!!" hahahahaha  We got out of there safe and sound :-)

That was my week!  Sorry this email was long as!  I miss you guys so much.  I'm loving it here heaps!  It's crazy the change the mission has had on me so far.  I've only been out 5 months and I can understand why everyone would be so sad when they can't do this anymore.  Although it's hard sometimes and the Natural Zach wants to be lazy ha, I just try my best!  I hope you all have an amazing week!  I love you so much!

Love,
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment